Sunday, December 11, 2011

I Saw a White Door and I Want to Paint it Green


My apologies to The Rolling Stones.

First I had this great idea to paint my front door a bright color thanks to this post at Young House Love.  However, I also knew that my current front door wasn't very safe nor was it energy efficient.  So I talked to my mom and decided that the best idea was to install a new door and then paint it.  My parents were nice enough to give me a new door and installation for my birthday.

Before we even had a new door bought, I started to play around with color ideas.  As much I loved John & Sherry's yellow door, I'm just not a yellow person.  Red doors are popular, but I didn't think it would go great with my red brick.  So I decided to go with one of my favorite colors, a bright appl-y green.  I went to Lowe's and Home Depot and collected several paint chips, and taped them to the front door to get a feeling.


Then came demolition and installation day.





I was slightly freaking out at this point.  Not a fan of having giant holes in my house!!


Being the home improvement expert that I am, I thought it was as simple as buying a new door, unscrewing the old one off its hinges and then attaching the new door.  Wrong.  Saint had to pull the molding off around the door inside, take off the old door, rip out the old frame and build all new stuff.  I hope I'm not losing you with all these technical terms.  I should also add that while he and my mom were installing the door, I was near-death with bronchitis and a sinus infection and was full of antibiotics and cough syrup so the details are fuzzy.


I found Stripey and Sage hiding in mommy's closet.  They don't care for home improvement projects.

Once it was finished, this is what it looks like from the inside.  Nice!


Remember, I am an advanced procrastinator, so it took me a few weeks to get around to actually painting the door.  I spent way too much time staring at paint chips, in all different kinds of light, but I finally made my decision - Sunny Dale from Lowe's.


Fun with painter's tape!  I don't have a lot of pictures of the actual painting process, but two coats did the trick.  Here's the finished product:


This is what it looks like most of the time, with the screen door closed.


 ... and with the door open.

Next, I wanted to hang something on the front door and went to Walmart looking for Command hooks.  Imagine my surprise to find these!


 I knew these would be perfect.  Here it is on the door:


 Sorry about the shadow.  Almost invisible!

Now for the piece de resistance: for my birthday, Cassie bought me a cross that we saw at Christmas Jubiliee.  It's perfect - pink and it has my name on it!  And it's accented with blue and green polka dots, almost a perfect match for the door!




I love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment