Wednesday, February 29, 2012

(Heat) Pumpin' it Up!

I am a self-admitted control freak, but I also know that sometimes it's nice when other people make decisions.  Like, where we're going for lunch or what movie we're going to see or what the run route is.  What's not fun is when home improvement decisions are made for you.

A few weeks ago when my mom & I were traveling to Birmingham for the Mercedes Marathon, we were talking about my next big project at the house.  I was trying to decided between tiling the kitchen or making some changes to my bathroom.  Unfortunately, when I got home I was greeted by the smell of gas in the house.  We looked at the furnace and the pilot light looked ok, so we decided it was probably nothing.  Not long after she left, the heat kicked on and made a funny noise, which I later discovered coincided with what looked like a mini explosion.  Scary.  I turned the unit off and called someone to come look at it Monday morning.

Long story short, I got two opinions that basically said the furnace is older than I am and fixing the problem will be more expensive than it's worth, and I should consider getting a new unit.  So, that's what I decided to do.  I also decided to go with a heat pump because I hear that it's more energy efficient.  Fortunately it hasn't been cold since my furnace died so not having heat has not really been a big deal.

I took the day off while the work was being done at the house.  I worked on catching up on some paperwork, and clearing off the DVR  (otherwise how else could I justify taking a day off work to watch TV?).  Still, it was not the most exciting way to spend the day and I didn't even get to take a nap.  But I do have a brand new Heat & AC system.  Sometime soon(ish) I will replace my gas water heater with an electric, and then my house will be all electric.  Yay!

Here's a picture of the 30+ year old furnace:



No comments:

Post a Comment